In simple words, the Dock is the row of icons that are typically located at the bottom of the screen, and it can be moved as well.
If you want to add frequently used applications or documents to your Dock or you want to remove only some used items from the Dock then follow the instructions given below carefully and precisely.
Basically, Dock consists of items which are appropriate to use, but you can also customize it according to your own suitable needs.
Note-You can add applications, documents or folders to the dock.
- The dock is made into two disproportionately sized sections.
- Carefully look for the dividing line which appears a little bit to the left of the trash. The Left-hand section can contain Application Icons.
- On the other hand, the Right-hand section can contain icons for files, folders or websites.
- When you open an application on your Mac, you’ll notice its Dock icon displays a small black dot below it.
- Note -Older versions of the Mac operating system displays either white horizontal bar or a white bluefish circle, frankly both of which are hard to find or see.
- Remember that you can rearrange or remove the icons using or following the instructions as given under
- Mark that after you open an Application whose icon is not already present on the Dock, then this application’s icon will in actual temporarily appear on the Dock. Also, note that When you quit the application, its icon will automatically vanish from the Dock.
- The Finder icon, which appears at the far left end, and the Trash icon, which appears at the far right-end, can’t be removed or moved.
- After clicking and holding an icon on the Dock will present a menu of choices in front of you. By taking the example that if you click and then hold on the Trash icon after that its menu will let you choose to either open the trash or if files are present in the trash then it will make it empty immediately.
Rearranging Content on the Dock
For rearranging icons on the Dock, click and drag an icon to either the left or right-hand side
Remove Items on the Dock
- Click the mouse button and hold on a Dock icon to display its menu.
- Then, select options.
- After that, select remove from Dock (If by chance you want to remove a folder icon then hold down the key and then click the mouse button and hold its icon to see its menu.)
Add Application to the Dock
Note- There are some different methods to add Application to the Dock, but most people use this method.
- Firstly, click on the Finder icon on the Dock to open a Finder Window.
- Then, click on the Finder icon on the Dock to open a Finder Window.
- Now, click on the Go menu which is located at the top of the screen and then select Applications.
- Don’t forget to locate the application that you want to add to the Dock.
- After that, Click and drag this application’s icon to the left-hand- section of the Dock.
- Remember that you don’t drag this icon on top of or overlap on another dock icon.
- Instead, ensure that you see the dock icons scoot to the side so that you can make room for this new icon.
Add Files and Folders to the Dock
- Firstly, click on the Finder icon on the Dock to open Finder Window.
- Go to the file or folder that you want to add.
- After that, click and drag this application’s icon to the right-hand section of the Dock.
Change the Dock’s Location
- Firstly, click on the Apple menu.
- Choose System Preferences option.
- Next, click on the Dock icon.
- Lastly, you locate the position on screen section and select, Left, Bottom or Right.
John Martin is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Samuel has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as norton.com/setup.